Experience, expertise, and results are just some of the reasons why top plastic surgeons are in great demand. A plastic surgeon’s reputation is something that many potential patients deem worth paying for. After all, cosmetic surgery is essentially about enhancing a person’s appearance. Anyone thinking of undergoing cosmetic or aesthetic surgery would want to get the first-rate results from the procedure. Finding top plastic surgeons in New York does not have to be a tedious process. But neither should it be approached haphazardly. You need to spend a reasonable amount of time looking for the best cosmetic surgeon for you.
Ways to Find the
Top Plastic Surgeons in New York
The task of finding the top plastic surgeons in New York can be daunting given the wide area you have to cover. However, there are ways to make your search easier. You can start checking out various sources that are likely to yield the right information you need.
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) – You can visit the organization’s website or make a phone call to get names. You can also check credentials such as certifications in the field of plastic surgery and membership to other reputable cosmetic surgery associations.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) – You can visit the ASPS website and search for a list of members. This is a good place to start since the organization has established measures to ensure that members’ credentials are reputable and verified.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) – Like ASPS, the ABPS online listing or directory can an excellent place to start your search. The board is responsible in checking if a plastic surgeon came from a medical school it has accredited. It likewise verifies if members have completed the mandatory years of education and training as well as the specialization in the field of plastic surgery.
- Cosmetic surgeon directory – You can find cosmetic surgeon directory or other related lists online. Any New York magazine top plastic surgeons list is also a good start. The idea is to gather as many names as you can. You can then conduct a more thorough background check on the names you have selected.
- Recommendations – Word of mouth is a reliable form of non-advertising on the part of plastic surgeons. There are two basic types of information you can glean from word of mouth or feedbacks from people you may know. These could either be positive or negative. First-hand accounts are helpful in providing you with insights on the capabilities and skills of your potential cosmetic surgeons.
How to Choose a Cosmetic Surgeon
You can make appointments for initial consultations once you have narrowed your list down to a few names. Prepare a list of questions to make the most of the consultation or interview time with your potential top plastic surgeons in New York. Some of the information you may want to get out of the consultation include:
- Membership to American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) – As previously mentioned in the article, plastic surgeons earn membership in ASAPS only if they meet certain requirements and standards. This membership is a good indicator that you are looking at reputable doctors in this field of medical discipline.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) certification – This certification is the only one acknowledged by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
- Hospital privileges – Hospitals usually have a committee that reviews a plastic surgeon’s competency before giving the privileges of performing operations in their facilities. It is best if you ask about this regardless if a surgeon intends to perform in an ambulatory facility or at an office.
- Accreditation of facility where the operation will be performed (i.e.. office-based or ambulatory)
- Experience in the procedure you require – Experience and expertise are what often separates the top plastic surgeons from their peers. If you want to inquire more about their credentials, you can ask for training certifications especially on techniques that may be new to the field of plastic surgery.
- Potential risks – It is important that you know everything about the potential outcomes of the procedures including any risk that may be involved. If there are risks, find out how the plastic surgeon intends to deal with a problem if and when it arises.
- Recovery timeline – This question is important so you can discuss any activities that may or may not be allowed during the recovery period.
- Policy on revisions to the surgical procedure – There are instances or cases when surgical revisions are needed. You may want to ask the surgeon about fees and other charges that you need to cover in case a surgical revision becomes necessary.
- Cost of surgery – Insurance does not cover cosmetic surgery. You may want to ask for total fees including any additional costs.
If you would like more information, simply head to our home page at Plastic Surgeon in New York.